Subject: January 2008 - Job Hire, Berlin, Australia, US, India
Dear friends and colleagues,
We have exciting news about A Jihad for Love and www.filmsthatchangetheworld.com - a job hire, our US theatrical deal, and upcoming screenings in Berlin and Australia and good news from India.
1) Hiring a Director of Outreach. On the heels of the global success of 85 Trembling house parties in 16 countries during the September High Holidays, we are hiring a Director of Outreach for www.filmsthatchangetheworld.com for our Purim to Passover Project. We are framing Purim as a holiday about risk-taking and will feature three films available for worldwide DVD screening parties - Trembling Before G-d/ Trembling On the Road, Encounter Point and Hineini: Coming Out In A Jewish High School. All feature risk-takers who aim to transform the Jewish people, engaging GLBT and straight people, Jews and non-Jews and goal is to catalyze individual, familial, and Jewish communal engagement, action, and change. For further details on the Director of Outreach position, see the profile of Films That Change the World.
We also are fundraising to match gifts from The Russell Berrie Foundation and The Righteous Persons Foundation - you can donate online to The Foundation for Jewish Culture at http://www2.jewishculture.org/#donate (specify this is for Trembling Before G-d) and please send us an email as well.
2) We have a major European launch of A Jihad for Love at The Berlin Film Festival as the Opening Film of the Panorama Documentary Section from February 8th-10th.
February 8th CineStar 7 17:00
February 9th CineStar 7 12:00
February 10th Colosseum 1 15:30
I will also be on a panel at the Berlin Talent Campus called "Sense and Sensibilities: Documentaries for the Big Screen."
We would love to meet any people you suggest in Berlin.
3) We are proud to announce a US theatrical deal with First Run Features for A Jihad for Love which will kick off at The IFC Center in New York in May. See the Variety article on the acquisition deal at http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117979205.html?categoryid=19&cs=1
4) Off to Australia! The Australian Premiere of A Jihad for Love will take place in Sydney during the Mardi Gras Film Festival. We do not really know people in Sydney so definitely are happy to connect with anyone there especially for Mardi Gras.
Premiere on Thursday, February 21st, 7:30 PM, Palace Academy Twin
5) Parvez and I are proud to announce the Jury Prize and India Premiere of A Jihad for Love at the Tri-Continental Film Festival – a primary platform for human rights cinema from Asia, Africa and Latin America. See Parvez's blog on Delhi at http://www.ajihadforlove.blogspot.com/ and please feel free to pass on any people we should meet in India when we return.
Thanks for your support of Films That Change the World.