Friday, January 04, 2008

Op/Ed: The Martyrdom of Benazir Bhutto - by Parvez Sharma

From the Huffington Post

Parvez Sharma

by Parvez Sharma


The Martyrdom of Benazir Bhutto

January 3, 2007

So it is the number nine after all." I look at the cryptic text message from my friend Shazia, in Lahore and I know that she has spent the whole evening adding them up. Benazir Bhutto, the Dukhtar-e-Mashriq (Daughter of the East) who so many had condemned for so long is dead, gunned down or fatally knocked down by a metallic lever in her gas guzzling SUV, depending on who you believe.

We have been texting all night and here in Lincoln, Nebraska where I have been for the "holidays," that most ubiquitous symbol of American life-I find this new knowledge surreal. Most of what we get here is Fox and CNN - both now compete for mindless info-tainment, peppered with strong doses of all of the pharmaceuticals Americans now need to get through Christmas, the "holidays" and indeed life. As the TV cuts abruptly from new relief for those plagued with Restless Leg Syndrome to a grave looking Wolf Blitzer re-playing Ms. Bhutto's oddly prophetic sound-bite, when wearing her signature bright lipstick she talks of her own fears of "death", I feel a sense of restlessness myself. The "surreality" of network television is a part of our daily lives.

Continued...

No comments: